Who are Leatherman?
Founded in 1983, in Portland, Oregon, by Tim Leatherman and Steve Berliner, Leatherman has become arguable the most well-known and popular brand of knives and multi-tools on the market. With an inspiration to design and create a “Boy scout knife with pliers”, the pair set out in creating the first ever multi-tool, the Leatherman Pocket Survival Tool (PST). The release of the PST later that same year, sparked massive growth and development in both the company and their products
Leatheman prioritise making a quality product that is durable and can perform any task you give it, no matter how straining or difficult. Because of this, Leatherman use the highest quality materials when producing their products. They primarily use stainless steel and aluminium, which are always shaped and crafted perfectly from the highest quality raw materials. No matter what price point you are in, whether you are on a tight budget or looking for a premium multi-tool, Leatherman is guaranteed to provide you with an amazing option made from the best materials, and you can rest assured knowing that you’re using a high quality multi-tool that isn’t going to fail, no matter what you throw at it, even if you’re using one of Leatherman’s more budget tools, which while stripped back, are still incredibly high end and durable tools and great options.
Leatherman multi-tools come equipped with a large range of tools, that all need to be easily accessible at a moments notice. Because of this, Leatherman have designed their multi-tools in a way that each individual tool can be drawn from the multi-tool swiftly and efficiently, and locked into place using a taper lock when being used. When you’re done with the tool, you can simply unlock the tool and put it back into the multi-tool.
Who uses Leatherman?
- Builders – or anybody who will use the pliers part of the multi-tool for heavy duty work like cutting heavy gauge wire. The reason we recommend the following is mainly because the cutters on the following tools can be removed and replaced with new cutters if need be. Also, these tools will have all the regular blades and tools necessary for everyday use. Rebar Supertool 300 OHT MUT
- Soldiers, Police, Sporting Shooters – or anybody who needs a tool for general purpose use and also maintaining fire arms. Also any tool listed here in the EOD range comes equipped with a C4 punch for personnel in the bomb units. MUT EOD Supertool 300 EOD MUT CAM
- Fishing, First Aid Paramedics – or any application where scissors are required. Raptor Style Micra Squirt
- Camping, Hiking, Hunting – or any application where a compact multi-tool with a lot of blades and accessories is needed to cover you for anything life or nature can throw at you
- Sometimes you may need a lightweight quick opening knife for cutting that is used a lot but you still want pliers and some screwdrivers for occaisional use then the following multi-tools will be the go. Skeletool Skeletool CX Wingman
Leatherman as a company are focused on producing multi-tools and knives of the highest quality, which is why they have such a high end production facility. The Leatherman factory is in Portland, Oregon and is split into 3 major buildings. One of these buildings is for producing the individual tools found in Leatherman multi-tools, such as:
- Bit Drivers
- Bottle Openers
- Cutting Hooks
- Locking Blades
- Wire Cutters
The second building at Leatherman’s facilities in Oregon is purely used for producing the pliers to go into Leatherman tools. Finally, the third building in the facility is used as an assembly building where all of the tools, components and pliers are assembled into multi-tools. Each tool goes through a 200 step process before reaching the assembly building, and being hand assembled by a technician. The facilities in Oregon produce more than 8000 multi-tools per day, employ over 400 workers, and the factory runs all day and all night for most of the week. Every Leatherman has been made in this facility, with the exception of some between the period of 1985 and 1989, when the demand for Leatherman PSTs got too high to handle with just the one facility, so Leatherman used a factory in Japan. However, since then all Leatherman tools have been produced in the USA, and Leatherman intends for things to remain that way.
All Leatherman knives and multi-tools come with a lifetime warranty in Australia when purchased through Knife Depot. Any issues or faults with your Leatherman Product caused through regular use will be fully covered and your product will be repaired or replaced.
All knives in Australia sold through Knife Depot require the purchaser to be over the age of 18 years. Knife Depot reserves the right to refuse the sale of a product to any person under the legal age.